As I turned 23 on Wednesday, and besides drinking far too much bubbles and devouring birthday cake, I reflected on everything I had learnt and how much I continue to learn on this crazy roller coaster called life. I discovered Fanta zero tastes just as good (if not better, controversial?) as regular Fanta, I have far too many embarrassing drunken stories and hangovers do get worse the older you get. I have gained and lost friends in the same year, trusted the wrong people and stayed in relationships I really didn’t want to be in; and I’ve come to realise that it’s not selfish to make time for yourself. So, here are some of the 23 things I have learnt in my 23 years.
23 Things I Have Learnt in My 23 Years
- Listen to the Sunscreen song, it gives you all the advice you need to hear and some you don’t realise you need to hear until you do.
- Don’t feel disheartened if you don’t get the job. Take it as a learning opportunity to develop and grow in your craft. But maybe, it just wasn’t right for you either.
- Read, read and read some more. Reading not only provides escapism but it broadens your knowledge, vocabulary and assists our learning.
- Not everyone will like you, and that’s okay. You don’t have to like them either!
- Have savings! You never know when you’ll need to dip into that rainy day fund.
- Don’t fall back on your ‘fall back’ option before you’ve even tried to succeed in what you really want to do – trust yourself, take the leap of faith!
- It’s completely okay to change your mind, whether about a degree, a job or even plans you’ve made with your friends for a cosy night in.
- Don’t stay in a relationship just because you feel like you owe it to try, if it’s not working, it’s not working.
- Your mental health is just as important as your physical health – look after it!
- When buying clothes, if you don’t 100% love it, don’t buy it because, most of the time, you know it’ll sit on the hanger, untouched, for years later.
- You don’t have to have your whole life figured out in your twenties!
- Step outside your comfort zone, you’ll be grateful for it later.
- Never feel guilty for putting yourself first.
- You will lose friends, and that’s okay, we’re all continuously growing and we outgrow people.
- Don’t compare yourself or your life to other people’s, everyone is on their own journey.
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach – more often than not, it will end badly!
- Travel while you can!!
- It’s okay to quit something that really isn’t working for you, not everything will be for you.
- Never go to sleep on an argument.
- If you have a gut feeling something isn’t right, listen to it. 99% of the time, you’ll be right.
- It’s okay to ask for help if you are struggling, we can’t do everything ourselves.
- Drink a glass of water before bed after a night out – your head will thank you for it in the morning.
- Never live with regrets, even the bad decisions, because every decision you make, you learn from and has led you to this moment in your life.